Offline Function

Hi,
I really like RaiDrive but I’d love to have an offline function.

Why should people use this category? What is it for?
When people are in places without WiFi or mobile Network they still can access and edit their files. Also, when you want to work with big files like clips for video editing, the internet connection isn’t fast enough and takes all the bandwidth.
An offline solution could solve those problems.

How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?
I haven’t seen a request like this before.

What should topics in this category generally contain?
This categoty could discuss how offline functions could be implemented.

My proposal:

• You can choose a local folder where offline files can be stored
  • You can choose how much storage can be stored within this folder (e.g. 400 GB)
  • The folder fills up with the recently used files until it’s reaching its storage limit. The oldest files will be deleted from the offline folder and will be available online.
  • Furthermore you can select single files and folders which can be used offline permanently.

The sync between online and offline files takes places as soon as a change is detected.

I hope it isn’t too hard to follow this idea. Otherwise I’m happy to explain this idea in further detail. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like this idea the only question would be how it would handle the check for you not being connected to the internet because as of now it will always errors on boot. also how would it handle new files because you only explained stuff with existing files.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
How to check if connected to the internet:

Unfortunately, I don’t have any programming skills, but I guess it’s not too complicated to implement. It’s a basic function since almost every internet connected app checks the status of the connection (Web Browsers, Adobe Creative Cloud, Soundcloud …)

creating new files when offline:

• You could save a new file within in the virtual offline drive (RaiDrive) with a placeholder file.
  • Simultaneously a real local copy is saved within the specified local offline folder
  • As soon you go online, the file is synced to the online drive.

Hi, I also would really to use this feature (for both folders and files).
Especially, when working with files that are frequently used such as those WORD/EXCEL files, and others.

As an idea, after saving, some interval (i.e., 5 minutes) may be selected before uploading in order not to upload too frequently.

And if possible, upload only changed parts (by block?). Not sure what it is called, but I think it is possible, instead of uploading and replacing the whole file.

Thank you very much in advance! RaiDrive ROCKS!!!
Planning to buy subscription soon, after trying trial periods of several others.
Still love RaiDrive!!

1 Like

Rai-drive transfer files from one drive another drive using our own badnwidth?

Hi~ @Play_Boy,

Sure, RaiDrive does not suppress the bandwidth.

Hi~ @Tim_Martin, @LordDamionDevil, @Sarun,

We have the plan to support this year.
In the next+next version, we will introduce the base feature.
Really appreciate detail suggestion and advice. :smiley:

Hi, is this feature already available? It’s really important for me. I work with a lot of heavy files. Thank you.